HertzWin is a free Hertzian contact stress calculator. It can be used to calculate mechanical point and line contact dimensions and material stresses. The application performs all calculations automatically. A clear window allows you to enter material properties, dimensions and loads. The same window then immediately displays the results. Download HertzWin freeware here (after registration). Further down on this page, you can watch a short instructional video that shows you how to use it. Read this introduction to the work and importance of Heinrich Hertz.
An important feature of HertzWin is that it calculates the exact results by numerically solving the elliptic integrals.
Features of the Hertzian Stress Calculator HertzWin
- point and line contact stress calculations;
- calculation of:
- contact width;
- Hertz contact stress;
- shear stress;
- von Mises;
- contact stiffness;
- required material strength;
- Imperial + SI units;
- the influence of the surface roughness;
- lifetime calculations;
- exact elliptical integral calculations using numerical integration;
- comprehensive list of material properties;
- extensive help files;
- Windows Clipboard copy function;
- Also runs on Linux using Wine.
- Graphs of stresses and displacements;
- Contour plots of sub-surface stresses;
- Maximum shear stress and Von Mises stress per contacting body;
- Influence of a tangential load;
- Orthogonal shear stress calculation for rolling contact fatigue (RCF);
- Elastic energy calculation;
- Overview of the used equations in HertzWin (traceability) in the help function.
More information about the new functionality can be found in the program’s corresponding help function. And the extensive article with background information and theory used in HertzWin.
Screenshot of Graph and Contour Plot of Subsurface Stresses
A screenshot of the window with plots of stresses and deformations and a contour plot of subsurface stresses is shown below.
Exact Results due to Numerical Integration of Elliptic Integrals
By numerically solving the elliptic integrals of Hertz formulas, HertzWin is very accurate. Several users have tested HertzWin and compared it with their own calculations. All of these tests have found no errors in the results. Read more about the accuracy of HertzWin in the Frequently Asked Questions about HertzWin.
Introduction video in the use of HertzWin
The video below is a quick demonstration of HertzWin‘s ease of use.
Many Users and used in Scientific Publications
The HertzWin software has many users from all kinds of industries. From offshore to mechanical watch industry, and from aerospace to door locks. HertzWin is appears in several scientific publications. Here are a few:
- Effect of Sliding on the Relation of Triboﬁlm Thickness and Wear – Martin Jech, Maria L. Miranda-Medina, Thomas Wopelka, Christian Tomastik and Carsten Gachot. Lubricants 2023, 11, 72;
- Wear and Corrosion Resistance of AlSi10Mg–CP–Ti Metal–Metal Composite Materials Produced by Electro-Sinter-Forging. Materials 2021, 14, 6761 – Gobber, F.S.; Fracchia, E.; Spotorno, R.; Fais, A.; Manfredi, D.;
- Modeling and numerical analysis of roller burnishing of AISI 4140 steel – V.M Cangussu, A.M. Abrão, F.C. Magalhães, B. Denkena, B. Breidenstein, K. Meyer;
- CERN/CLASSE Particle Detector Upgrade (CMS LHC-HL) – M. Sherman;
- Influence of Load, Surface Finish and Lubrication on Friction Coefficient of AISI 304 Stainless Steel – J. Dib, S. Hereñu, D. Alí & N. Pellegri;
- Opto-Mechanical Systems Design – P. Yoder, D. Vukobratovich
- A comparative study of surface deformation and quality of brass workpiece in contact with coated dies by pin-on-disc testing – I. Ebrahimzadeh, F. Ashrafizadeh;
- Criticità indotte da trattamenti superficiali – E. Bianchi (Meccanica News);
- A New Test Method to Evaluate Hydraulic Fluids for Vane Pumps – D. Drees, E. Georgiou M. De Bilde;
- A UAV Mechanism for Autonomous Landing and Transportation of Cargo – T. Stefansson;
- An Investigation of Rolling-Sliding Contact Fatigue Damage of Carburized Gear Steels – P.C. Kramer;
- Ball Burnishing as Finish Method of Compressor Shaft Wear Sleeve – G.Pikurs, G. Bunga, V. Gutakovskis, A. Kromanis;
- Calcul de la Pression Maximale Hertzienne du Contact Cylindre/Plan (Simulation du Contact au Niveau de la Hanche) – A. Hichem;
- Computer simulation of pressing a ceramic ball into Elastic-Plastic Material – S.Berczynski, D. Grochała, Z. Grządziel;
- Nanoscale Enhanced Characterisation of SOlar selective coatings – J.Barriga;
- Silla de Ruedas Con Estructura de Material Compuesto – F.N. Ferrara;
- Vibration Based Planetary Gear Analysis and Damage Detection – R.P.D.Sawatzky;
- Numerička analiza krutosti gumenog zgloba rastojnika-prigušivača – D. Čakmak;
- Mu2e DS Tracker Support systems layout Analysis – G. Taddei;
- Reflections on Self-Alignment (Mikroniek 1 – 2013) – G. v.d. Straaten.
Download and use the Hertzian Stress Calculator for Free
You can download and use HertzWin for free after registering. After registering, you will receive an email with the download links. If you stay registered, then you will be notified when an update or new software is available. Expect 2 or 3 emails per year. Of course you can unsubscribe at any time. Your email (data) will not be used for anything else. There are already more than 3100 users of HertzWin (March 2022). See the system requirements here.
Please select the software programs you would like to receive news about. You will receive an email with a download link for the software..
Important: sometimes the email with the download link is rejected by your mail server. To ensure that the email arrives in your inbox, add info(at)vinksda.nl to your mail address book. Especially companies sometimes filter emails as spam.
What users say about HertzWin
- “I just discovered your program a few days ago and absolutely love it!”. Damjan, Croatia
- “I would like to thank you for your program. It is really easy to use it and it has really nice visualization”. Frantisek, Czech Republic
- “This software package provides a great service to mechanical engineers and other design professionals around the world. Thank you. I have checked my own calculations against HertzWin, and found them to be in very close agreement. The refinements added to release 2.4 will make it even more useful”. Gordon, Canada
- “Thanks for this useful software”. Jérôme, France
- “I use HertzWin to calculate contact stiffness. My compliments for the user-friendliness and the visual feedback”. Peter, The Netherlands
- “I have downloaded your HertzWin program and have confirmed that your Hertz Contact Stress calculation matches what I have been using. I believe that your program will be helpful in quickly checking my hand calculations”. Michael, USA (Pennsylvania)
- “Thanks for the wonderful HertzWin software”. Anh, USA (California)
- “Useful program, thank you very much. I will forward it to my colleagues”. Rene, The Netherlands
- “Congratulations for the software. It is very Useful!!” José, Brasil
- “I use HertzWin often to make a quick estimation of the Hertzian stresses and contact stiffness”. Martijn, The Netherlands
- “Thanks for the update release information and beautiful & informative product”. Sriramachandra, India
- “I am a current user of your HertzWin software and appreciate it a lot”. Philippe, Canada
- “HertzWin does exactly what it should do. I gathered a lot of literature and I come to the conclusion that the results of the program matches exactly with the literature”. Jan, The Netherlands
- “Thank you Jaap, the calculator is very useful!”. George, USA
- “First of all thank you for putting HertzWin and FlexHinge on-line, very useful!!”. Lennino, Nederland
- “I am very satisfied with your program, I appreciate it a lot”. Mile, Nederland
Comments are Appreciated
I am interested in hearing about your experience with HertzWin. Please leave a comment below or send me an email.